Gavin Campbell joins me this week as we talk about how Home Assistant introduces a local voice assistant with wake words. Gavin is enthusiastic about mmWave sensors, Aqara FP2, which can detect people, even when stationary. Zigbee vs.
Gavin Campbell joins me this week as we talk about how Home Assistant introduces a local voice assistant with wake words. Gavin is enthusiastic about mmWave sensors, Aqara FP2, which can detect people, even when stationary. Zigbee vs. Z-Wave gets a mention as Gavin upgrades to the Zooz ZST39 Z-Wave 800 controller. 3D printing is a recent interest, used for creating smart shutter controllers. Gavin’s year-long experiment with smart lawn watering is summarized, along with enhancements to his pool using temperature and water level sensors. All that and a quick update on CEDIA. Thanks for listening!
Full show notes, transcriptions (available on request), audio and video at http://theAverageGuy.tv/hgg588
Join Jim Collison / @jcollison
for show #588 of Home Gadget Geeks, brought to you by the Average Guy Network.
WANT TO SUBSCRIBE? http://theAverageGuy.tv/subscribe
Join us for the show live each Thursday at 8pmC/9E/1UTC at http://theAverageGuy.tv/live
Join us in the Facebook group at https://www.facebook.com/groups/theaverageguy/
On Discord at https://theaverageguy.tv/discord
Save as much as $110 on your first 5 boxes of HelloFresh
Use the code MQU328 and get $40 off any machine purchase and a free capsule dispenser. If you are drinking bad coffee – STOP. Great coffee, one cup at a time from people who really know coffee. Check them out at https://Nespresso.com
and use code MQU328 and get $40 off your first machine!
* Tech gadgets, news, and reviews with guests.[0:00]
* Jim Collison welcomes Gavin Campbell to Home Gadget Geeks, discussing tech gadgets and news.
* Home automation and integrations with companies like Mazda.[1:52]
* Speaker 2 discusses home assistant, an open-source smart home hub, and its integrations with various devices and services.
* Speaker 2 expresses concern about companies like Mazda potentially taking away functionality from users who rely on home assistant integrations.
* Home assistants and voice control technology.[5:00]
* Speaker 2 discusses the benefits of home assistants, including local control and privacy, and mentions the development of a new voice assistant that runs locally.
* Speaker 2 and Jim Collison discuss the potential uses of voice assistants, such as controlling devices and asking questions like “Is the back door open?” or “What’s the temperature in the pool?