The CPG Guys, PVSB and Sri are joined in this episode by Chris Hurley, Vice President of Channel & Shopper Marketing at Pernod Ricard, a convivial, responsible and successful global wine and spirits group and the #1 premium spirits organization in the world. The Group represents 240 premium brands available in more than 160 countries.
Follow Chris Hurley on LinkedIn at: https://www.linkedin.com/in/chris-hurley-7b02047/
Follow Pernod Ricard on LinkedIn at: https://www.linkedin.com/company/pernod-ricard/
Follow Pernod Ricard online at: https://www.pernod-ricard.com/en
Chris answers these questions:
1) Please walk us through your career, starting with your work in “the fizz bizz” or carbonated beverages, up until now with a focus on pivotal experiences in your career that you consider enabled your progression.
2) After joining Pernod Ricard in 2018 as the VP of sales for national chains for wines & champagnes, you saw a broader need for expertise in shopper marketing capabilities for the enterprise. How did this come about? What was the competitive landscape for these types of services and why was it important for Pernod Ricard to resource against them?
3) You’d previously managed shopper marketing & channel strategy groups at other points in your career. Was this the first time you had to build one from the ground up? How did you go about developing the blueprint for what this group would be charged with accomplishing and how would you measure outcomes?
4) How do you go about staffing against a shopper marketing team? Are you hiring from the outside, taking existing staff and training them in new subject matter expertise. How do you develop an educational curriculum?
5) How do you decide where will be the focus of your team’s efforts relative to the product portfolio and key customers within the omnichannel marketplace?
6) With the explosive growth of eCommerce during the pandemic, marketplaces like Drizly and Reserve Bar started to emerge while traditional brick & mortar retailers like Total Wine started to establish digital store fronts. How did you set about ensuring Pernod Ricard could succeed in here?
7) Insights & activation are core functions of shopper marketing organizations in the CPG world but Tied House laws in the adult beverage categories can challenge companies like Pernod Ricard. Could you walk us through some of these challenges and how you have been able to still succeed in your team’s mission?
CPG Guys Website: http://CPGguys.com
FMCG Guys Website: http://FMCGguys.com
CPG Scoop Website: http://CPGscoop.com
RetailWit Website: http://retailwit.com
DISCLAIMER: The content in this podcast episode is provided for general informational purposes only. By listening to our episode, you understand that no information contained in this episode should be construed as advice from CPGGUYS, LLC or the individual author, hosts, or guests, nor is it intended to be a substitute for research on any subject matter. Reference to any specific product or entity does not constitute an endorsement or recommendation by CPGGUYS, LLC. The views expressed by guests are their own and their appearance on the program does not imply an endorsement of them or any entity they represent.
CPGGUYS LLC expressly disclaims any and all liability or responsibility for any direct, indirect, incidental, special, consequential or other damages arising out of any individual’s use of, reference to, or inability to use this podcast or the information we presented in this podcast.
VP Channel & Shopper Marketing at Pernod Ricard
Chris Hurley is the Vice President of Channel & Shopper Marketing for Pernod Ricard.