My guest for this episode is Robyn Schiller. It was two years ago that I reached out to her husband Warwick Schiller to be a guest on my podcast. He’s a very well-known horse trainer with an extensive video subscription library. Then, a year ago, I got to meet Robyn (and Warwick in person) at the Cactus Reining Classic. We visited after I had gotten to see Robyn ride her reining horse in the show. She mentioned that she used to be in the corporate world, in Human Resources, which definitely made me very interested to talk to her.
I invited Robyn on the podcast because there is always more to success than meets the eye – whether we are talking about her performance in the arena, or in the business that she and Warwick run together. Robyn is the behind-the-scenes force that get things done in their business. Soon, she will also be offering her wisdom alongside Warwick at a clinic they are doing in Australia titled Resolving Anxiety in Horses and Humans Masterclass. She previewed some of what she will be teaching in this podcast, especially about how our survival brain can get activated and what we can do about that.
One of the themes of this conversation was making the unseen visible to others. The magic is often in understanding that behind the slick surface, there is always more than meets the eye. Our conversation ranged among many topics, dancing between horses and humans and especially what we have in common and what we can learn from each other.
There is so much wisdom in this podcast – especially at the end – and if you come away with nothing else, you will learn how it’s the little things that add up to the big things.
· Wife of Warwick Schiller joins the podcast to talk about her role managing successful trainer
· How to manage horse anxiety and human anxiety
· Understand the “Why” someone is doing something
· Horses don’t have problems, people have problems: It’s about listening to the horses
· How to work through mistakes
· Not everyone is ready for what Warwick will say to people
· What is the husband/wife disconnect
· What is your picture? Is it a disaster picture or the picture you want?
· Anticipation of success technique
· The power of visualization
· Why am I doing what I am doing? Am I doing it for the horse? Or doing it for myself?
· Horses look for the same thing people look for which is connection
· We are looking at horses needs; positive reinforcement works so much better
· Looking at the subconscious mind and the power of it
· Success is consistency mixed with a little luck, being at the right place at the right time
Guest contact information: