Veterans Administration (VA) benefits are available to widows and widowers of veterans who meet certain requirements. These benefits can help them secure a steady income, obtain medical care, get educational assistance, and more.
Some of the main types of VA benefits for widows and widowers include:
- Dependency and Indemnity Compensation (DIC): This is a tax-free monetary benefit that is paid to eligible surviving spouses of veterans who died from service-related causes.
- Veterans Pension: This benefit can be paid to low-income veteran widows or widowers age 65 or older, or those who are totally and permanently disabled.
- Health Care Benefits: Eligible surviving spouses of veterans may be able to receive health care benefits through the VA.
- Education Benefits: There are several education benefits available to surviving spouses of veterans, including the Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance program and the Post-9/11 GI Bill Transfer of Benefits program.
- Home Loan Guaranty: The VA Home Loan Guaranty program can help surviving spouses of veterans obtain a mortgage to purchase a home.
- Death Gratuity Payment within 120 days of Retirement
- Survivors Assistance
- How do I get a copy of the veterans DD214
- How do I apply for benefits?
If you are the widow or widower of a veteran, be sure to check with the VA to see if you are eligible for any benefits. You may also want to contact an experienced Veterans Benefits Attorney to discuss your options and help you navigate the application process.
Do you need any additional information?