Willie Newman, CEO of Homepoint Financial | Wednesday January 25, 2022
- Founder, President and CEO of Homepoint, one of the nation’s largest wholesale mortgage lenders.
- An acknowledged expert and innovator in the mortgage industry with over 30 years of experience in the field, including three start-ups, Newman is widely recognized within the industry as the “Godfather of Wholesale”.
- Under his leadership, Homepoint rapidly scaled to become the third-largest wholesale lender in the country, as well as a Top-10 non-bank loan originator.
- Recently, Newman has taken a lead role in advocating on behalf of the mortgage broker community, including utilizing HMDA data to promote the “Broker Advantage.”
- Newman holds a BBA in Finance from the University of Michigan and an MBA, Finance and Business Economics from Wayne State University.
Topics of conversation in this episode
- If you're a loan officer, you really need to think about where you should be in order to best support your clients, referral partners, and your career as a lender. Why is NOW the best time to be a mortgage BROKER?
- Brokers actually invest in their communities. How can we relay that message more clearly to retail loan officers who think they are serving their customers best by being with a correspondent or a bank or credit union?
- I’ve heard Mat Ishbia say that when Home point jumped 100% over to wholesale, it validated what UWM has been doing to architect the way of the Broker landscape.
- “Displacement equals opportunity” - Expand on that and offer some insight to mortgage pros right now who are feeling “displaced” and why that can be agood thing
- Relationship with Matt Ishbia UWM - Two-headed monster. Did you guys come together to gameplan how to foster such a great environment for mortgage brokers?
- “Godfather of mortgage brokers"